Today's Game
Sun, 06/16/24 - 7 PM YARMOUTH-DENNIS @ CHATHAM Veterans Field
Next Game - Mon, 06/17/24 - 7 PM
BOURNE @ CHATHAM, Veterans Field
Listen/View Live Schedule

Anglers News

« Back to 2018 News Archives

Chatham falls to Hyannis, 12-5, its third-straight loss

by Peter Warren
Wednesday, July 18, 2018

Chatham falls to Hyannis, 12-5, its third-straight loss

HYANNIS — When the Chatham Anglers give up more than eight runs, it is often a result of one high-scoring inning. Against the Wareham Gatemen on Opening Day, a seven-run ninth inning closed the door on a possible A’s comeback. On June 15, Brewster scored five runs in the second that put Chatham in a hole too deep to climb out. A nine-run fourth inning against the Yarmouth-Dennis Red Sox on July 8 provided Y-D a lead that proved to be insurmountable for the Anglers.

At McKeon Park on Wednesday night, the crooked inning that digged Chatham’s (15-15-2) grave was an eight-run second inning that spurred Hyannis (19-10-2) to a 12-5 victory.

“We are not playing the game right,” Arenas said. “We are not playing the game way it should be played.”

The big inning started with back-to-back doubles from Todd Lott (Louisiana-Lafayette) and Tommy Jew (UCSB). Eric Rivera (Florida Atlantic) followed that up with a single before stealing second base during the next at-bat. Colin Simpson’s throw to second bounced off the glove of Jorge Arenas (Stetson), allowing Jew to score.

Then, Chatham starter John McMillon (Texas Tech) started to fall apart. He allowed the next five batters to reach via three walks, one hit-by-pitch and one double.

“In wooden bat baseball, you really don’t want to go out and put that type of pressure on your offense,” Anglers manager Tom Holliday. “Bottom line is we don't have enough pitching to go to the bullpen in the second inning.”

Following a Matthew Barefoot (Campbell) bases-loaded walk that scored Taylor Garria (Samford) and made the score 6-0 with no outs, Chatham pitching coach Dennis Cook walked out to the mound and signaled to the bullpen. Tristin English (Georgia Tech) came into the game for his second pitching appearance of the summer.

English allowed two inherited runners to score, but got out of the inning with two flyouts and a groundball.

“The mindset is stop the bleeding,” English said. “Try to get as many outs as possible without giving up any runs.”

Chatham halved the Hyannis lead in the fifth. With one out, Adam Fogel (Hawaii) and Arenas slapped singles and John Rave (Illinois State) was hit in the foot to load the bases for Blake Sabol (Southern California). Sabol — the league’s leader in home runs with seven — worked a walk, scoring Fogel.

Michael Busch (North Carolina) then hit a tailor-made double play ball to Holland at short. Holland failed to convert on the opportunity as he was unable to shuffle the ball out of his glove. Everybody was safe on the play, setting up a chance for Spencer Torkelson (Arizona State).

Torkelson worked the count to 3-2 before roping a ball down the left-field line. Rave and Sabol scored but Busch slipped trying to hold up at third and was tagged out.

Hyannis added another run in the bottom half of the inning when Rivera crushed the first pitch he saw over the wall in left field. Rivera had a day at the plate for the Harbor Hawks, finishing 5-for-5 with two runs scored and three RBI.

Chatham added another run in the seventh, again coming off the bat of Torkelson. After walks to Sabol and Busch, Torkelson smoked a grounder to Davis Wendzel (Baylor) at third. The ball hit off the lip of Wendzel’s glove and trickled into the outfield, allowing Sabol to score.

The A’s relievers did a good job holding the Harbor Hawks hitters. English allowed four hits in four innings of work. Spencer Van Scoyoc (Arizona State) — pitching for the second straight day — struck out the side in the sixth. Brock Riley (Salem State) then threw a scoreless frame after pitching two scoreless innings yesterday.

Hyannis added three runs in eighth inning. Arenas ended up coming in to pitch in that eighth inning, facing one batter and striking him out. The Stetson product — who said he had not pitched since freshman year of high school — reached 89 mph and said he could have topped out at 91-92 mph.

“I have been nagging Cookie for three weeks about coming in a game,” Arenas said. “He said we are low on arms. I said I better be the first position player out there. I have been nagging him every day.”