Next Game - Sat, 06/15/24 - 6 PM

Anglers News

« Back to 2018 News Archives

Chatham suffers 10-1 blowout loss to Y-D

by Peter Warren
Sunday, July 08, 2018

Chatham suffers 10-1 blowout loss to Y-D

SOUTH YARMOUTH — It all started with a controversial call at first.

The Chatham Anglers were up 1-0 on the Yarmouth-Dennis Red Sox with one out in the bottom of the fourth when Noah Campbell (South Carolina) hit a dribbler up the first-base line. Alek Manoah (West Virginia) pounced off the mound and went to field the ball. As he picked up the red-stitched sphere, Manoah stumbled, but he managed to get the throw off to first base.

First base umpire Nick Zibelli ruled Campbell safe at first — much to the chagrin of the Chatham Anglers’ dugout. Nine runs and ten consecutive baserunners later, the dugout stood shocked in silence.

Y-D’s nine runs was the most Chatham had given up in an inning all season, and it propelled the Red Sox (13-6-4) to a 10-1 victory over the Anglers (10-10-2) at Red Wilson Field.

“In between questionable calls, very questionable calls, and a home plate umpire that I have no idea right now what strike zone he was trying to show, the game just got ugly and got out of hand,” Anglers manager Tom Holliday said. “You make a couple errors, you get a couple balls hit off the pitcher's glove and dribble into nowhere land and then all of a sudden a guy flares one.”

Following Campbell’s infield single — the first hit Manoah had given up since June 24 against Bourne — Jonny DeLuca (Oregon) singled and Zach Zubia (Texas) was hit by a pitch to load the bases. Nick Quintana (Arizona) then gave Y-D the lead with a 2-RBI single. After another walk loaded the bases again, Zach Ashford (Fresno State) hit a line-drive to the right of Michael Busch (North Carolina). Busch dove and the ball deflected off his glove and rolled right to Jorge Arenas (Stetson). Arenas tried to get the runner at second, but Branden Fryman (Samford) dropped the ball.

Manoah’s day ended with that at-bat, but the onslaught continued. David Hamilton (Texas), Andrew Daschbach (Stanford) and Quin Cotton (Grand Canyon) all picked up RBIs on a walk, fielder’s choice and hit-by-pitch.

Campbell — who started the rally nine batters before — provided the final blow of the Red Sox’s nine-run rally, a bases-clearing 3-RBI double. Six of the runs scored in the inning were attributed to Manoah and three of the runs given to reliever Dan Hammer (Pittsburgh).

Chatham jumped out to the lead in the top of the third. John Rave (Illinois State) earned a free pass with one out in the frame and, three pitches later, strolled home for the game’s first run.

After one pitch and one failed pickoff attempt, Rave stole second — his third swipe of the summer. On the next pitch, Ben Ramirez (Southern California) singled through the right side and Rave crossed home plate without a slide.

“I was just trying to get the ball in play and get a guy over at least and the ball got through and he was able to get in,” Ramirez said.

Blake Sabol (Southern California) hit a single of his own to put two runners on base, but strikeouts from Busch and Drew Mendoza (Florida State) ended Chatham’s chance at a big inning.

Manoah — who was lights-out in last start versus Cotuit — dealt with some trouble in the first inning as well. Manoah walked two batters and hit another in the bottom of the first to load the bases for Y-D with two outs. Against DeLuca, Manoah got the to hit a high pop up into foul ground down the right-field line. Running hard after the ball, Busch made a basket-catch to hold Y-D at zero.

With the victory, the Red Sox became the first team in the league with 30 points on the season. For Chatham, the loss is the team’s third in the last four games.

Holliday said that to play the game of baseball, you have to be able to bounce back quickly.

“You got to have short memory, get it out of your system,” Holliday said. “This one is over. It's gone.”